Coach Talk: Week #10
by Coach Jon Cacchione
Nine weeks are in the books for the 2013 college football season, and it still appears that we are headed for the most controversial finish in the Bowl Championship Series that we have ever had. Six of the top 7 teams in the BCS rankings are undefeated, and four of those six appear to have a strong likelihood of ending the season without a blemish. Alabama, Oregon, Florida St., and Ohio St. will be considerable favorites in their remaining games. I believe, as I have stated in prior weeks, that each of those 4 will win out. Baylor, too, has a shot to win the rest, however, remaining games with Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St. and Texas make the chances far less than the top 4. Miami is the sixth undefeated team, but the Hurricanes must play at Florida St. this week. I think the perfect journey ends this week for Al Golden’s troops in a convincing way. The irony of the top 4 finishing perfect, of course, is that we are one year too early for what could have been the most prophetic move by the NCAA in its history. Next year’s 4 team playoff format could have been a perfect way to determine the National Championship this year with 4 entries all being unblemished. Instead, we are stuck with one more year of the computers and human polls determining who gets to play in the big one on January 6th. By all indications, with the big 4 finishing perfect, it will be #1 Alabama vs. #2 Oregon in the Rose Bowl for the title. Here are my weekly updated BCS Bowl match-ups:
National Championship Game: Alabama vs. Oregon (1/6/14)
Orange Bowl: Florida St. vs. Wisconsin (1/3/14)
Sugar Bowl: Auburn vs. Central Florida (1/2/14)
Rose Bowl: Ohio St. vs. Stanford (1/1/14)
Fiesta Bowl: Baylor vs. Northern Illinois (1/1/14)
Coach of the Year: Leaderboard (Top 5)
Leader: Art Briles, Baylor (Briles has done a great job a bringing the Bears into the BCS title conversation. Way ahead, today)
#2: Gus Malzahn, Auburn (Malzahn has brought the Tigers back much quicker than anyone thought he could.)
#3: Nick Saban, Alabama (No doubt, the best coach in the country, again.)
#4: Mark Helfrich, Oregon (First year and has the Ducks looking like a title team.)
#5: Urban Meyer, Ohio St. (No doubt, the 2nd best coach in the country. Has 20 straight wins at Ohio St.)
“Roach of the year” Candidates:
1. Lane Kiffin, USC Fired
2. Paul Pasqualoni, Connecticut Fired
3. Don Treadway, Miami, FL Fired
4. Charlie Weis, Kansas 3-15 in 2 years at Kansas at 2.5 million/year
5. Ron Englis, Eastern Michigan 11-44 in 5 years at EMU.
6. Mike London, Virginia 18-26 in 4 years at Virginia at 2.6 million/year
7. Norm Chow, Hawaii 3-15 in 2 years at Hawaii at 700,000/year
8. Charlie Molnar, Mass 2-17 in years at Massachusetts
9. Bo Pelini, Nebraska Saturday’s loss to Minnesota makes it 5 straight years Pelini has lost to an unranked team in Lincoln.
10.Randy Edsall, Maryland 11-20 in 3 years in College Park at 1.65 million/year.
How the remaining 8 undefeated teams will finish:
Alabama (8-0) Remaining: Vs. LSU; @ Miss. St.; Vs. Chattanooga; @ Auburn; SEC Title game. Final Record: 13-0
Oregon (8-0) Remaining: @ Stanford; Vs. Utah; @ Arizona; Vs. Oregon St.; PAC 12 Title game: Final Record: 13-0
Florida St. (7-0) Remaining: Vs. Miami; @ Wake; Vs. Syracuse; Vs. Idaho; @ Florida; ACC Title game: Final Record: 13-0
Ohio St. (8-0) Remaining: @ Purdue; @ Illinois; Vs. Indiana; @ Michigan; Big 10 Title Game: Final Record 13-0
Baylor (7-0) Remaining: Vs. Oklahoma; Vs. Tex. Tech; @ Oklahoma St.; @ TCU; Vs. Texas: Final Record 12-1
Miami, FL (7-0) Remaining: @ Florida St.; Vs. Virg. Tech; @ Duke; Vs Virginia; @ Pitt; ACC Title game: Final Record: 11-2
Fresno St. (7-0) Remaining: Vs. Nevada; @ Wyoming; Vs. New Mexico; @ San Jose St.; MWC Title Game: Final Record: 12-1
Northern Illinois (8-0) Remaining: @ Umass; Vs. Ball St.; @ Toledo; Vs. Western Michigan; MAC Title Game: Final Record: 13-0
Top 15: Week #10
1. Alabama (8-0) Beat Tennessee 45-10. Idle this week, next vs. LSU (7-2).
2. Oregon (8-0) Beat UCLA 42-14. Idle this week, next Thursday @ #5 Stanford (6-1).
3. Florida St. (7-0) Beat NC State 49-17. Home this week vs. #7 Miami, FL (7-0), a 24-21 winner over Wake Forest.
4. Ohio St. (8-0) Beat Penn St. 63-14. At Purdue (1-6), who was idle last week.
5. Stanford (7-1) Beat Oregon St. 20-12. Idle this week, next Thursday home vs. #2 Oregon (8-0).
6. Baylor (7-0) Beat Kansas 59-14. Idle this week, next Thursday home vs. #12 Oklahoma (7-1).
7. Miami, FL (7-0) Beat Wake Forest 24-21. At #3 Florida St. (7-0), a 49-17 winner over NC State last week.
8. Clemson (7-1) Beat Maryland 40-27. At Virginia (2-6), a 35-25 loser to Georgia Tech last week.
9. Missouri (7-1) Lost to #14 South Carolina 27-24. Home vs. Tennessee (4-4), a 45-10 loser to #1 Alabama.
10. Fresno St. (7-0) Beat San Diego St. 35-28. Home vs. Nevada (3-5), a 27-22 loser to UNLV last week.
11. Auburn (7-1) Beat Fla. Atlantic 45-10. At Arkansas (3-5), who was idle last week.
12. Oklahoma (7-1) Beat Texas Tech last week 38-30. Idle this week, next Thursday at #6 Baylor (7-0).
13. Texas A&M (6-2) Beat Vanderbilt 56-24. Home this week vs. UTEP (1-6), a 45-7 loser to Rice.
14. South Carolina (6-2) Beat #9 Missouri 27-24. Home vs. Mississippi St. (4-3), a 28-22 winner over Kentucky.
15. Texas Tech (7-1) Lost to #12 Oklahoma 38-30. Home vs. Oklahoma St. (6-1), a 58-27 over Iowa St.
Under Consideration: LSU; UCLA; Michigan; Northern Illinois; Louisville; Michigan St.; UCF; Oklahoma St.; Wisconsin
Dropped Out: UCLA; Virginia Tech
Interesting Games this Week: (Last week ag. Spread 5-10) (Season Record ag. spread: 61-71-3)
Cincinnati –2 1/2 @ Memphis (Taking the Bearcats on the road)
Arizona St. @ Washington St. +11 1/2 (Taking the points at home with the Cougars)
Illinois @ Penn St. -10 (Big trouble at Illinois. Going with the Lions at home.)
Pittsburgh @ Georgia Tech –10 (A 2nd straight option team for the Panthers to deal with. Going with the Jackets.)
Wake Forest –3 1/2 @ Syracuse (Going with Wake on the road.)
Tennessee @ Missouri –11 1/2 (Tigers get back on track and handle Vols.)
West Virginia +13 1/2 @ TCU (Both teams are struggling; I’ll go with the points.)
Florida vs. Georgia –2 1/2 (Gators are really banged up. Going with the Bulldogs to cover.)
Miami, FL @ Florida St. -21 1/2 (Seminoles destroy the Hurricanes.)
Wisconsin –9 1/2 @ Iowa (Badgers are on a roll, and the 2nd best team in the Big 10)
Michigan @ Michigan St. -5 1/2 (Wolverines will have trouble moving the ball)
Navy @ Notre Dame –17 (Big win for Navy last week; Irish will handle them.)
Northwestern +7 1/2 @ Nebraska (Is this the week the Wildcats bounce back?)
Oklahoma St. +2 @ Texas Tech (I like the Cowboys to win on the road)
Mississippi St. +13 @ South Carolina (Bulldogs keep this one close; Gamecocks pull it out in the end.)